Avon Lake Contractor License Bond
The City of Avon Lake, Ohio requires contractors to be licensed. The city offers two different contractor licenses: Building Contractors and Landscape Contractors. Both licenses require applicants to obtain a contractor bond.
Those obtaining the Building Contractor License register through the Avon Lake Building Department, while those obtaining the Landscape Contractor License register through the Avon Lake Public Works Department.
If you are a landscaper who is also registered as a general contractor or sprinkler system installer with the Building Department, you must also be dually registered with the Public Works Department.
If you are only involved in lawn care, landscaping, fertilizer application, snow removal, or tree care services, you only need to be registered with the Public Works Department.
How to use the Avon Lake Contractor Bond
In Avon Lake, Ohio, there are two different contractor bonds that you may need to purchase. The first is required by the Building Department, while the second is required by the Public Works Department. Under the Building Department, a $15,000 contractor bond is required to become a licensed contractor in the City of Avon Lake. Under the Public Works Department, a $5,000 contractor bond is required to become a landscaper in the City of Avon Lake.
For the Building Contractor Registration:
Applicants must obtain a $15,000 contractor bond as a condition of getting the city’s Building Contractor License.
To register as a contractor, applicants must fill out the 2023 Building Contractor Registration Packet. The packet consists of licensing procedures and requirements, including the Building Contractors’ Bond form.
For additional information, visit the Avon Lake Building Department website.
For the Landscape Contractor Registration:
Applicants must obtain a $5,000 contractor bond as a condition of getting the city’s Landscape Contractor License. To inform the city of your surety bond, you must fill out the Landscape Contractors’ Bond form.
To complete your registration, applicants must fill out the Landscape Contractors Registration forms.
Why is an Avon Lake contractor bond needed?
An Avon Lake contractor bond is a surety bond that guarantees the contractor who purchases it will fulfill their obligations to the jurisdiction they are licensed to operate in (in this case Avon Lake), as well as their professional obligations to their clients. It is meant to protect those in the general public hire contractors.
How do you get an Avon Lake Contractor Bond?
You can get an Avon Lake contractor bond from SuretyNow. The bond is instant issue and requires no credit/background checks. Prices for a 1 year bond term start at $90. You can pay instantly on our website and we will send you a copy of the bond within the hour. Once you have the bond, you will need to file it along with your contractor license application to the Avon Lake Building Department.
Avon Lake Contractor Bond Cost
SuretyNow is dedicated to matching the best prices with each client. We will find the best, lowest, and competitive prices. As aforementioned, our prices for a 1 year bond start at $90. Discounts are available for longer bond terms.
Avon Lake’s Contractor Licensing Procedures
There are two types of contractors in Avon Lake. We cover the licensing process for each of them below.
For building contractors, all license forms and applications should be sent to the following address:
City of Avon Lake
750 Avon Belden Road
Avon Lake, OH 44012
The following requirements must be met before registration:
- Fill out application for contractor registration.
- Sign and submit $15,000 contractor’s bond.
- Certificate of insurance for a minimum of $500,000 liability insurance within the City of Avon Lake as certificate holder.
- Proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance certificate.
- Obtain the Ohio State License from the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) if practicing the following trades:
- Fill out all relevant Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) forms.
- Pay the $100 registration fee.
For landscape contractors, all license forms and applications must be sent to the following address:
City of Avon Lake
Public Works Department
150 Avon Belden Road
Avon Lake, OH 44012
Landscape Contractors must meet the same requirements as Building Contractors, except the following differences:
- Sign and submit a $5,000 contractor’s bond.
- Certificate of insurance for:
- Minimum of $100,000 property coverage
- Minimum of $300,000 bodily injury/wrongful death coverage
- If contractors are working in the right-of-way need a $1,000,000 umbrella coverage
- Pay a $75 registration fee.
Ohio State License (may not be needed)
For those who are pursuing the following classifications of contractors in Avon Lake, the Ohio State License is also required:
Applicants must register through the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) and fulfill the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a US citizen or provide proof of legal residency.
- Have licensed experience in the construction industry for at least 5 years OR have been a registered engineer in Ohio with 3 years of experience in the construction trade of which the engineer is applying for
- Never have been convicted for a disqualifying offense as defined in H.B.263.
- Pass the OCILB exam for the specific trade you are applying for.
- Carry a minimum liability coverage of $500,000.
- Pay all applicable fees.